- 75g Pimhill Porridge Oats
- 2 onions, very finely chopped,
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 generous tablespoons of butter
- 1 ½ pints of chicken or vegetable stock ( we tend to use Bouillon powder but stock cubes will do )
- ½ pint of milk ( or less depending on the consistency preferred)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped chives and parsley to serve
Optional but highly recommended:
One un-dyed smoked haddock to serve flaked on top.
Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pan over a low heat. Add the onions and carrot and cook gently until soft but not coloured. Add the oats and cook for about 4 minutes’ and then it carries on with until it starts to smell delicious, you will see! keep stirring to avoid it sticking to the pan. Add the stock and bring to the boil, simmer for about 25 minutes.
If using the fish, then place in a pan and cover with the milk, poach gently then add the milk to the soup. If not using the fish, simply add the milk and make sure the seasoning is to your taste, heat it through and serve with the chopped herbs.